Coral Gables commissioner blasts harassment, threats, surveillancePolitical Cortadito

Coral Gables Commissioner Ariel Fernandez says there has been a targeted campaign of harassment and threats against him and two other city commissioners almost since he and Commissioner Melissa Castro were elected against two candidates that were endorsed and supported by Mayor Vince Lago. He called it “thuggery” and “mafia tactics.”

Slashed tires, public confrontations, online harassment and threats, stalking.

These events culminated on Tuesday when Fernandez spotted someone following him and police identified the man as a private investigator who used to be a Coral Gables sergeant until he retired in 2014. Police say he wouldn’t say who hired him.

Hang on. Let that sink in. There’s a private investigator tailing a commissioner in Coral Gables and police cannot find out who is doing it? This could be someone who is looking to hurt the commissioner for a vote he took. It could be someone who wants to pressure him to vote some way in the future. It’s a danger to the commissioner and the family and the cops couldn’t do more?

In February, someone stalked Fernandez at the Belen Jesuit School Tombola event, posting photos with disparaging remarks.

“Imagine spending a Saturday evening with your wife and 9-year-old son at your former high school’s fair — laughing, making memories, just enjoying a peaceful night as a family. Hours later, photos surface on social media proving that someone had been watching you — following your family,” Fernandez said at a press conference Wednesday with his wife, Monica, standing next to him.

“Imagine stepping out for dinner on Miracle Mile with friends, only to return to find your car’s tires slashed,” he said, referring to an incident that occurred with Commissioner Kirk Fernandez‘s wife.

“Imagine taking your 7-year-old son to a restaurant and being physically attacked by someone with a political agenda,” he said, referring to a loud, physical confrontation that the mother of a former city commissioner aligned with Mayor Vince Lago had with Commissioner Castro in Key Biscayne.

“Unfortunately, this is not fiction — this is the reality that Commissioner Kirk Menendez, Commissioner Melissa Castro, and I have been forced to live over the past two years., Fernandez said. “When you take public office, you know there will be sacrifices. You expect criticism, tough conversations, and public scrutiny. But no one prepares you for the fear, the stalking, or the threats — not just against you, but against your family.

“Since taking office in 2023, the attacks on me, Commissioner Castro, Commissioner Menendez, and our families have not only continued — they’ve escalated.” And he listed some of the disturbing incidents.

November 17, 2023: A photo of Commissioner Fernandez’s vehicle, including his license plate, was posted online, which may be a violation of state law. Ladra is pretty sure the photo was taken by and the social media handle was used by Lago buddy and real estate agent Manny Chamizo, who recently was sentenced to probation in a stalking case (more on that later).
January 8, 2024: Commissioner Menendez’s wife’s tires were slashed right outside their home.
February 13, 2024: Due to a credible death threat, the three commissioners had to be escorted by police into City Hall for a commission meeting.
August 31, 2024: Commissioner Castro was physically assaulted and verbally accosted at a restaurant outside the city, in front of her seven-year-old son.
October 8, 2024: Fernandez received what he called “a chilling threat” on social media from an individual, stating: “Cya soon face to face.”
November 16, 2024: While having lunch with my wife and son, a drone hovered overhead, surveilling us before flying away when I attempted to photograph it.
December 15, 2024: Commissioner Castro’s tires were slashed in a city parking garage. The only other similar incident in months? Commissioner Menendez’s car.
February 1, 2025: Fernandez and his family were stalked and photographed at the Belen Tombola. The photos were later posted online by someone using the name “JustinRite” on social media.
February 22, 2025: Commissioner Castro’s car was vandalized while parked on a Coral Gables street

Fernandez told the media that each incident had been reported to the police and he thanked the department for investigating every incident, which he also said were referred to the State Attorney’s Office.

“For two years, I kept most of these moments private, sharing only with close friends and family – hoping it would stop, staying focused on doing the job I was elected to do.

“But yesterday was the final straw.

As he loaded his 9-year-old Stephen into the car to take him to school at 7:20 a.m., Fernandez noticed a black GMC Sierra slowly passing his house. It’s captured on a video camera outside his home. When he pulled out of the driveway, he saw the same truck again at the corner. The truck was not at a stop sign. Fernandez was. He signaled the driver to go. Twice. The driver did not. So Fernandez left and the truck turned and began to follow him.

“Sensing something was wrong, I turned around in an attempt to get a photo of the license plate. The truck took off. Moments later, I saw it again on Granada Boulevard, now driving in my direction. My son, scared, asked me, ‘Why are they following us, Dad?’

“What do you tell your child in that moment? What explanation makes sense to a nine-year-old who has done nothing but try to live a normal life,” Fernandez said, nearly breaking into tears in front of the TV news cameras.

After he dropped off his son, Fernandez showed photos of the truck to two Gables Police officers posted outside the school. “As I did, another parent shouted, ‘That guy is taking pictures or video of you!’ I turned, and there was the same black GMC Sierra, phone in hand, filming us.”

One of the officers pursued the vehicle and learned the it was being driven by a private investigator. They also said it was one of two trucks on the surveillance assignment, the second of which was driving by former police Sgt. Alan Matas, who left the department in 2014 shortly after being suspended and demoted for an illegal narcotics burn at a residence in the Redland.

After meeting with Hudak and the city manager to report the incident, Fernandez was followed again. “As I left the Minorca Parking Garage, I spotted a vehicle tailing me. When I pulled over to confront the driver, he turned his face away, refusing to be identified.

“What kind of city are we becoming, when intimidation, surveillance, and threats against families are brushed aside as politics as usual? What kind of people think it’s acceptable to follow children to school, slash tires, or send threats from behind a screen — all because they disagree with your vote?

I’m here today not just as a Commissioner — but first and foremost as a father, a husband, and a member of this community who loves this city deeply,” Fernandez said. “I care about Coral Gables because my family lives here. Because your families live here. Because our children deserve to grow up in a city where safety, civility, and respect still matter.

“Let me be crystal clear: these mafia-style intimidation tactics have no place in Coral Gables. Not today, not ever,” he said. “To those behind these threats: I will not be silenced. I will not be intimidated. And I will not back down from doing the work I was elected to do. Your fear and your cowardice only strengthen my resolve.

“I was elected by the people of Coral Gables in 2023 to do a job, and I intend to keep doing that job — without fear, without compromise, and with a renewed commitment to a ‘residents first’ government in Coral Gables.

“I call on those behind these tactics to stop their thuggery immediately. Our families are off limits. If you have a political disagreement with me, come talk to me. That’s how things have always been done in Coral Gables. Threats, harassment and violence are never the answer.

“We are better than this. This is Coral Gables and there is no place for your mafia-style tactics in our City Beautiful.

A reporter asked Fernandez if he thought this was tied to his relationship with Mayor Vince Lago, but Fernandez did not bite.

Ladra wonders why on Earth Lago would have Fernandez followed. Or why anyone would do it. He is not up for re-election this month.

Now, Commissioner Menendez, who is running for mayor against Lago, better start looking in his rearview mirror.

The post Coral Gables commissioner blasts harassment, threats, surveillance appeared first on Political Cortadito.

Read MorePolitical Cortadito

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *